Thursday, March 12, 2009

Photographing a Dark Drawing, Getting a Better Value Range in Your Photograph

Drawings or paintings that have a narrow value range are often hard to photograph - ones that are overall grey can be almost impossible to capture all the subtle variations.

I just wanted to show you the best set-up for taking a photo of a piece like this drawing.

Give your camera a good value range to read - and try to put that range in the center of the camera (for my digital camera, I cannot press "half-way" and then MOVE the focus to take the picture - I have to just snap the picture.
So I need my value range right in the middle of the shot)

I did try with the value range set further apart - this was not as successful.

Taking photos of your art can be a big challenge - thankfully with digitial we have the freedom to explore and see the results instantly!

Click on the tag "photographing art" to see other examples.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey those are some cool ideas, thanks for the pointers!

Anonymous said...

I just love the pastels on the colored background. Amazing what you can do in 2 hours!