I have just finished this portrait! It is painted with watercolor on Aquaboard, 9" x 12". The last couple of things I had to work on were the mother's profile and the blanket on her lap.
I had re-worked her profile several times, not fully satisfied with the results. Finally, I turned both pictures sideways, and that new perspective allowed me to figure out exactly what adjustments needed to be made! That technique worked so well, I used it again later that day when I was finishing up another drawing (I'll post that one later!)
This is the painting right before I darkened the blanket. My eye was not staying in the middle, where I wanted the focus to be - on mother and child. It kind of fell right off her lap! I like it much better now that I added layers of sap green, umber and a little purple (in the top photo)