Friday, May 21, 2010

The Female Figure in Red

Well I'm finally back on schedule!  These are figure drawings from this weeks drawing session with the live model.  We started with a few gestures (grey and white pastel on a light tan paper)


She had wonderful shifts in her weight.  This is pastel with a little bit of black charcoal pencil.
A ten minute pose that allowed for a little more development in the shadows.

I switched to watercolors for the long pose, using a bright red watercolor pencil to sketch out the female figure on a piece of watercolor paper (about 16" x 24") mounted to foam core.  I kept thinking about grabbing another color...sap green or lilac or prussian blue...but instead stayed with the reds.  I think it's pretty sexy.


I kept adding more detail with the pencils and then softening areas, pulling color into the background, with a wet brush.  Occassionally I added a little wash of color from my palette.

I kept the facial features simple, and tried to create a strong sense of light.

Before I totally ran out of energy (it had been a LONG day!) I did a quick study in watercolor of her back.  I never really resolved her hand, but I think it's a fun little painting (9" x 12" on aquaboard)


1 comment:

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Your work is amazing. You make it look easy, and we all know it isn't. You inspire me to go back to the life drawing workshop. Excellent work.