Thursday, November 20, 2008

Painting Techniques...Choosing a Palette














I have had this still life in my studio for several months - the result of a live model session where the model had to go home sick and we made do!

But it hadn't developed any further than the initial sketch...I didn't knw what direction i wanted to take it in, and i was a little worried about layering over the drawing because i liked a lot of the line qualitly in the drawing.

But I was inspired by a photograph in my latest Entertainment Weekly of the band Coldplay













(BUY their latest album if you haven't - every track is awesome!)

The photo is actually built (I think) like a great painting - the colors (umber with cobalt blue and cadmium red moments) Great linear and geometric elements and a wonderful variety of textures.

So...I used the pallete for my still life! I made sure to spray the charcoal drawing and my initial layers of paint were mixed with glaze so that the lines were preserved.














After adding a bit more paint, I went back with my charcoal pencil and re-discovered a few lines that I wanted to emphasize.

It's not done yet...but i feel much better now that I've got this painting started!


You never know what will inspire you.

5 comments:

Linda Hammelman said...

Thanks for sharing your process and inspiration for this very successful painting.

Lynn Cyr said...

Love the progress you're making on this one - and to think that you got your color inspiration from a band photo!! LOL!! What a great tip, though! :)

Gallery32 said...

I really like the palette you picked and the sketchy quality you implemented. Nice work :)

Krystyna81 said...

Thank you all...I think it's important to look for inspiration all around us - even in a magazine.

reagan said...

wonderful WIP post! Very inspiring. I love seeing how other artists create. It makes me stretch myself in new directions. THank you for sharing!