Working on a small scale, it's important to get everything blocked in proportion before thinking about detail.
For the next hour I worked on getting the local color and minor adjustments to the figure.
Since our session came to an end, the kind model permitted me to take a reference photo so that I can finish. I am especially interested in painting the pattern in the drapery.
Much like this painting from a couple weeks ago, I think the pattern will really add interest to the piece.
Also started this week...I am working on a painting for a client's dining/living area. The walls are copper colored, and they are especially drawn to trees. I found a really small (1" x 2") snapshot of a cherry tree branch in bloom in a magazine, so I am basing this painting off of that tiny picture. I'm glad it's tiny, though...I want to look at the general shape, not minute details.
I started with a wash of cadmium orange, then glazed over that with a mix of turquoise and white. Then I added about a hundred little squares of copper foil (THAT was fun!) and glazed again with a mixture of red and sap green. (two panels, 30" x 30" each)
I'm just starting to add some lines with conte' crayon.
I have worked in this style before, and it creates a surface with a lot of depth and texture. The birds in this painting were created the same way.
And I love using copper leaf, you can control it to some extent, but sometimes it will tear and rip, creating accidental shapes as it did in this painting of the figure.
I will still add several more layers, and maybe even use a little modeling paste in a few areas. I also like to sand away spots that become over-developed, revealing some buried moments.
I'm excited about finishing both of these paintings...soon I hope!