Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Inspiration in the Art Studio. What gets your creative juices flowing?

I had a quick visit from a fellow artist yesterday, and while we were looking thru my studio (or the Disaster Zone, you may say) we chatted about technique and inspiration.   One of the things I like to keep handy in my work area are examples of work that I think have a great use of Drawing and Painting Language.  Art that shows the creator's facility with paint or pastel or charcoal.  A couple of my favorites are


This book of paintings by Joan Mitchell.  Her use of paint is beyond fantastic, and her color palettes are wonderful.  What's great about a book like this, with so many examples of one artists' work, is that you can see they had to make hundreds, even thousands, of pieces before they developed their own style.  And, not every piece is a success.  Inspires me to keep working.


I pulled this page out of Art in America way back in October of 2002.  I love the way Larry Rivers uses every trick up his sleeve - but not in a trite way - with a purpose.  Drawing, painting, outlining, gesture, collage, figure, mirrored images.   It all works together so well.  It reminds me that just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.  Use each technique to it's fullest, and timely, potential.


And this just makes me laugh.  And sometimes, this is all you can do.  Just keep working!

What images or Artists inspire you in your studio?

No comments: