Thursday, May 21, 2009

Figure Drawing of the Female Model - The Sexiest view may be from Behind

I adore our figure drawing group. There's a great mix of artists who cover a great range of styles and techniques. Everyone works hard, contributes ideas and it's a very pleasant atmosphere where we can chat but also get some great art accomplished.

One of the characters, Cecil, is a back man. And by back man I mean he loves to draw the backs of the female nudes. So often he makes a request for a back pose, or you see him scurry from one side of the room to the other because the models' pose has a lovely back view on the other side of the room!

Last night our lovely model struck this gorgeous pose, and the lighting and gesture just made for a wonderful figure drawing of the back, and of course thrilled Cecil!

The rest of us adored this pose as well - and asked for a variation of it for our long drawing. My first figure drawing was on a grey pastel board. I used a wash of white watercolor to lay out the light, then continued with charcoal.

After I was pretty happy with my first figure drawing, I moved on to a couple of quick and colorful pastel studies from other viewpoints in the studio. You can see the pose was interesting from each angle, and our model did an AMAZING job of holding the pose! Thank you!

12 comments:

Theresa said...

Beautiful! The model was captured perfectly.

Robin Pedrero said...

GORGEOUS!! as I said on twitter!

Anonymous said...

Hello. I just found your wonderful blog. Youre work is wonderful. Im asking if you can help a begginer with drawing the figure is there books, videos that you can recommend on how to get started. No classes where I live either.
Thank-you again
Linda

Krystyna81 said...

Hi Linda,

I am so glad you enjoyed my blog and I am very excited that you are interested in drawing the figure. I have discussed a couple of my favorite drawing books here

http://krystyna81.blogspot.com/2009/03/favorite-figure-drawing-books.html

I also suggest buying a skull

http://krystyna81.blogspot.com/2009/04/tip-for-creating-better-portraitsbuy.html

If you can't find classes, try to find a figure drawing group - search on-line for artists in your area who may run groups out of their studios. Our local gallery has just started offering figure drawing open studios once a month. You may also check local colleges/universities to see if they offer any evening sessions of drawing from the live model - quite often these are open to more than just students.

I wish you alot of luck! There is so much amazing figurative art out there, and I hope you find enjoyment in creating your own!

If you have any other questions, please contact me again - I'd be glad to help!

Kristina

Cherie said...

Wow... this is so very nice! I wonder.. why is nude figure drawing so much more common then clothed? Seriously.. I am not trying to be funny :0)

Krystyna81 said...

Cherie - I think it's a case of "if you drive a red car, all you see is red cars" I like nudes, so I draw nudes and share other nude drawings and paintings. But I think clothed figures are equally popular - such as the art of Pino. :)

Elizabeth Seaver said...

These are beautifully rendered!

Anonymous said...

the backside of women is a definite fav - so many great curves of bone, muscle and yes, fatty deposits, make that view a challenge to draw...
by the way, did you "do" your hydrangeas with your pastels, talented lady?
deb

Krystyna81 said...

hi deborah! No I have not drawn any hydrangeas! I really should - I have some beautiful lilac lace caps blooming, as well as a big purple-pink fluffy one. My neighbor has those gorgeous Nikko blue ones in her yard...I may have to bring her some cookies and distract her while I snip a few...accross the street another neighbor has a bush that is the DEEPEST most gorgeous purple ever! I should go around taking pictures!

Anonymous said...

really think you should do so - i believe flowers done in your style would do superb on etsy.
i have some nice photos of irises that i think you would intrepret well - if you need them.
do it lady! would love to see your work in pastels transferred to flowers - i am sure the work would capture the "expression" of flowers!
deb

Epsilon71 said...

C'mon Kristina. Let's call a space a spade - Cecil is an "assman". You know it, I know it.

Seriously, great work. I do a bit of figure modeling here and there and I notice you seem to think all of your models are awesome. Are you serious? I'd be interested in hearing what you think makes an awesome model.

By the way, I am from Buffalo too. Live in the DC area now.

Take care.

Krystyna81 said...

Epsilon...ROFLMAO! I was SO tempted to use those very words...yes, you called it.

I think there are many aspects of a great model, the first few off the top of my head - has a good variety of poses, has great stage presence, takes the artist's ideas into account but also brings suggestions to the floor, punctuality is also a huge plus!

There's so much more I could say...I've worked with a broad range of models in shape, size, and even level of professionalism over the years - this question may deserve a longer answer in a blog post :)