Friday, June 12, 2009

Do you grow weed?

My neighbor Mr. B and I often discuss what' happening in the garden, exchanging thoughts on what the deer and bunnies are eating, what needs to be pulled out or what we like in other people's yards. But my FAV moments talking to Mr. B are when he says to me "Do you think that's a weed?" and points out some new monstrous growth that has popped up in his yard. Occassionally I say "Well I always pull those out". But this time - I must insist - he has grown a weed to be proud of! This thing is HUGE! I took this photo after the kiddos were in bed last night, or I would have had Ari and Jack pose next to it! It's at least 3 ft tall and has HUGE velvety silver leaves. The top actually looks like it may bloom! I will keep an eye on it and post more pictures if it does.
I wish I could grow weeds like that....

5 comments:

pegi said...

Did you ever hear the song "The Eggplant that Ate Chicago" ?
This may be related :D

Krystyna81 said...

No! I don't know that song! But mny buddy says he had a similar weed that grew 8 ft tall! I'll have to post pictures as summer progresses.

Kungfukitten said...

Hilarious! We have those in Portland, Oregon too. I always pull them out. It's hard to get the roots when they get that tall!

Cherie said...

Come by my homestead and you will see some excellent weed growing!! My dog likes to play jungle hunt in them... so I keep them around to assist in my puppy games ;)

Dilyara said...

It's probably Verbascum bombyciferum 'Arctic Summer' (Mullein).
This plant and Echium wildpretii
"Tower of Jewels"
http://www.anniesannuals.com/plt_lst/lists/general/lst.gen.asp?prodid=385
are my favorite giants in the garden.

Came here from dooce.com Your painting of Leta is amazing.