Saturday, June 6, 2009

Latest Portrait Commission - Grandpa for Father's Day



Just mailed out a custom portrait commission for Father's Day. This is the client's Grandfather, who passed away many years ago. It is a gift for her father - isn't that wonderful?

This is a charcoal drawing on cream drawing paper. While the approach is pretty traditional, I also wanted to have a loose quality to the drawing, and used a cross-hatching technique for shading and defining the space.

Drawing glasses can also be a challenge. The distortion of the features, the reflections, the frames, can all look cartoonish if drawn in a different approach than the rest of the face. But I love a challenge and I am very happy with the result. I feel that the eyes are the focus of the portrait.

View more of my custom portrait samples in my Etsy shop.

2 comments:

Mary Richmond said...

what a nice drawing and what a great thing to be included in such a heartfelt gift!

Krystyna81 said...

thank you Mary! I hope the whole family likes it :)