Friday, August 28, 2009

New figure drawings from the male nude model...sharpies, and not so sharpies

I had what I would refer to as a challenging night of figure drawing yesterday! Mike the Model started out with some incredible gesture poses. He recently checked out a book that had a variety of "extreme foreshortening poses" and tried a few out for us last night.



The drawing above was a fifteen minute drawing and I used a thin Sharpie marker on white mat board. I liked the idea that I wouldn't be able to correct my lines by erasing - I'd have to keep going over the lines until I got it right. I like the immediacy of the media and I could get a variety of thickness in the line if I changed the pressure. I'd still like to go back and add more layers and value range.

The second drawing was for an hour and a half (with breaks!) I've done several figure drawings of the same model in the past, and I seem to favor either black and white or grey palettes when drawing. So I forced myself to be more colorful.


I'm particularly fond of this section - I think all of the colors came together very well, and I like the layers of color in the shadows. The background colors may still change...we will see! I shall live with it for a little bit and see what happens!

11 comments:

orgnaicsyes said...

Wonderful! It sounds like an evening filled with new insights.

Sharpies...daring!

Amanda said...

Oh my gosh! How beautiful! You're so talented! I love the colorful drawing.

The3Maries said...

Your drawings are wonderful!

Bridget said...

great gesture drawings

nina kuriloff said...

very, very nice work!!!

Krystyna81 said...

thank you for all the nice comments!

Jackie said...

Hi there..
I randomly found your site while searching figure drawings in etsy. I really like your style..
I was really into figure drawing for years but, since I've graduated and begun working- I've lost touch with it. I'm dying to get back and have some time on my hands this winter.

I really love the masonite board work. Any way you can tell me more about how you do it? I would love to hear from you if you have a chance. My e-mail is jacquelinehaskins@yahoo.com

Thank you!

-Jackie

Gary Keimig said...

wonderful blog and great figure work

Krystyna81 said...

hi Jackie...I'm glad you found my work and my blog! I'm not sure which masonite work you are referring to - paintings or drawings? I'd be glad to share some of the techniques.

Bethany said...

I love the sharpie drawing!!! I am always drawn to lines that have an immediate look to them. You have such a great eye for color in the figure too. Wonderful as usual!

Guy said...

Hello Kristina!
I came across your blog and just wanted to say that I like your work. I live in Norway and have been modeling for art classes for about a year now. I have really enjoyed the experiences and I still look for inspiration from other artists like yourself. I have written a blog about it if you would like to read it.
http://guyhuste.blogspot.com/2009/07/nude-male-model.html
Thanks again for posting not only your work but your thoughts and experiences.
Regards,
Guy