As I got towards the bottom of the figure, I realized the head and hands were too large and went back to adjust the scale. The movement of the drapery and the angles of the legs are very important, so those have been re-worked many times with layers of acrylic and glazes of color.
This photo of the angel painting is a little light, but shows how I am starting to build the folds of the drapery and catch the light and shadow. As I add layers, I also take away - each time I go back to my easel, after the paint has dried, I used sandpaper to soften any hard edges and reveal a bit of the underpainting. I want there to be an interesting history to the surface of the painting.
I haven't decided if the background should be light, dark or medium...I am definitely open to suggestions and feedback!