Sunday, October 11, 2009

New Nude female drawings - A productive night of working from the live model

I had a great time drawing from the live model last night! The Marietta Cobb Museum of Art hosts Figure Drawing groups once a month. Last night there was a male and female model, but I was working small, and just focused on the female nude. The first drawing is very colorful, perhaps even a little busy. I think I may darken the background so that the highlight on the leg is more dramatic. I was about to do another colorful drawing when she took this pose, but it was so dynamic, I felt like too much color would interfere with rather than enhance the drawing. So a stayed with black charcoal and only added a little bit of light turquoise accents. I don't know how she stayed in this incredibly difficult pose. I was sitting and drawing, and my a$$ was killing me when I finally stood up! I have a great deal of respect for our wonderful models.
A study of her back in charcoal on white paper. She had a beautiful twist in her spine, and I loved the position of the hand on back of the stool. Great lighting also.

I drew the same pose from the front, and I was very happy with the first few lines I drew - capturing the shape of her jawline and neck, down to her breasts and to her hand resting against her knee. I added a little more color and suggested some light and shadow, but had to force myself to not add too much information. I really liked the light, airy quality of the drawing.


I wasn't the only artist busy yesterday. My 2 yr old and 4 yr old invaded my studio while I was working on my latest Angel painting, so I set them up with some pastels and old mat board and put them to work. This is Jack's drawing of his little sister. If you think the drawing is cute, you should have heard Jack teaching Ari how to draw a person. "First you make a circle. Then you put the eyes," etc. Very entertaining.

7 comments:

Ama said...

I started out on your ETSY site and now have ended up on your blog!! Your inspiring to me...I just recently started beginning art classes ( May ) with a most fabulous art teacher, Laura Glusha. The figure and animals are her passion...She will be 88 on Thursday!! We are almost done with the fundamentals...yay! They are 1 on 1 lessons 4 hrs. A week. We will be starting a project with colored pencils and eventually nupastels...and let me tell you i cannot wait...keep up the nice work!! I really enjoy looking!!

Robin Pedrero said...

These are great as always I enjoy following your work

Pegi said...

I love the drawing your 4 year old did!! And yours are beautiful as well!!
I'm sorry to say I missed my first class due to a nasty cold/flu that hit me last Monday. My daughter had it and then I got it (still have a nasty cough!) and now my other daughter got it today as we celebrated her sons first birthday!But the second class is Wed. andI'm very excited!

Krystyna81 said...

Ama, thank you so much for your kind words about my work and I am so glad you enjoyed looking. I think it's fantastic you are taking a course with someone who sounds fabulous! 88! Now THAT's inspiring. Enjoy your class...happy creating!

Krystyna81 said...

Robin, The feeling is mutual my friend!

Krystyna81 said...

Pegi,

Isn't that always the way?!? Colds are so rude like that! And a first birthday - how exciting! You must have a smile from ear to ear :) I look forward to hearing about your first class!

peggy gatto said...

you are good!!!!