Thursday, April 2, 2009

Figure Drawing - Male Nude Model, a Charcoal Drawing on Grey Board

We had one of our best models last night at Shane's studio. Mike does amazing gesture work, and also has a very strong "stage presence" which helps us create powerful drawings. He puts a lot of thought into his poses and takes great (physical!) pain to hold poses for a long time.

This is about an hour and a half drawing, done with charcoal pencils in grey, black, and white on grey mat board.


Mike is also posing for our drawing group this evening, and I'm inspired by the work of Paul Cadmus - Mike reminds me of his models - so I think we will do some poses inspired by Cadmus' amazing figure work.


3 comments:

pegi said...

I'm First!! Gleeee!!
The lighting in this is absolutely amazing!! It has to be one of the best I've seen you do! How inspiring you are to us all!!

Krystyna81 said...

Pegi you are too cute :) Thanks for the compliment! I am very pleased with this drawing. It's hard for me to not grab color and go crazy sometimes! But the atmosphere and stillness of the pose kind of said "slow down" - so I did!

c.dingman said...

Great job on the foreshortening.