Friday, May 28, 2010

Avocado Ice Cream. It's a desert - it's a vegetable - it's a drink!

While glancing thru a cooking magazine one day I came across a simple yet incredible delicious sounding recipe for Avocado Ice Cream.  I'm always on the look out for yummy recipes that are healthy and don't call for any dairy. 

I love to try a new recipe when there's a party...so I made this for our neighborhood party on the dock (if weather co-operates!) that's scheduled for this evening.

A simple Avocado Ice Cream Recipe, from http://www.thekitchn.com/  (A new website to me - but looks totally amazing and has a ton of great recipes!)
____________________________________________________________________
Rick Bayless' Dairy Free Avocado Ice Cream


2 cups avocado puree (I used 4 avocados - med. to large)
3/4 cups water (I used coconut water)
1 2/3 cups sugar
3 tablespoons lime juice
1/3 cups tequila  (which, as it happens, is the exact amount that was in the mini tequila bottle we got at Christmas from our neighbor!)

Simply combine in a food processor or blender (our favorite method, because there's no need to puree the avocados first) until smooth. Freeze in your home ice cream maker following the manufacturers instructions.

Rick's version doesn't involve any heat at all, simply mix the ingredients and freeze, but we combined the sugar and water first over the stovetop until all the sugar was dissolved before mixing. Either way is fine, the dissolved sugar has a slightly thinner consistency and smoother texture, but you'll only notice if you know what you're looking for while eating!

Don't have an ice cream maker? No worries, package it and freeze it without churning. It will be slightly heavier, but is still just as creamy and delicious!
________________________________________________________

So how does it taste?!?! Well first of all...it smells dee-licious!  The lime and tequila give it a wonderful aroma.  When I prepped for that photo above, the ice cream had been in the ice cream maker for about 25 minutes and then in the freezer for almost 2 hours.  It was firm, but not frozen solid.  I tried a few bites after taking the photo - very, very good.  Super creamy, very fresh.   You can really taste the lime and tequila.  I don't imagine you would want a heaping bowl full - but it was good with a few pieces of strawberry, and I'm thinking of making some dark chocolate brownies and serving them together - a square of brownie with a little avocado ice cream on top!  It's like the perfect desert - alcohol, chocolate, and just in case you need to make yourself feel better about the chocolate and alcohol....vegetables :)

2 comments:

jsicignano2.blogspot.com said...

Thank you, will give a try. You are work is amazing. Have a great weekend.

Kari Tirrell said...

I make avocado pudding all the time (I can't do dairy or gluten) and it's delicious. Chocolate, lemon, and banana - yummy! I make it with a little bit of honey and liquid stevia, though, so it's a bit healthier. I've thought about freezing it and making ice cream, so thanks for the post. I'll try it. Also enjoyed looking through your art. :)