Thursday, November 17, 2011

Flourless Almond and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I got to spoil my younger brother for a few weeks while he was in town for some job training.  By spoil - I mean cook lots and lots of yummy gluten-free meals.  With vegetables - LOTS of vegetables.  Which spoiled me because no one in my household eats veggies except for me.

Anyway.  Thanks to the discovery of Almond Meal at Trader Joe's and the need to cook Gluten free deserts, I came across this great recipe for Flourless Chocolate Chip cookies.

The recipe was super easy to try, and not too threatening - you are only making a dozen cookies, so experimenting is easy to do.

The first batch was very good - and made according to the recipe.  They were especially good right after they cooled off.  Which is another plus - make a quick batch right before dinner for a warm, delicious desert.

The next time I tried the recipe I added 1 tbs of flax seed.  This made the cookies a little puffier and added the benefits of ground flax seed.  Very yummy.

I had a full 6 weeks to feed my brother so I tried the recipe a couple more times, and after reading the notes on the original blog I followed one of the suggestions in the comments - add 1 cup of coconut.  This was so good and nearly doubled the yield of cookies.  The sweetness of the coconut and texture balanced very nicely with the almond meal.


1 cup almond meal
14 cup sugar
12 tsp baking soda
egg
Variations: Add 1 tbs ground flax seed, and/or 1 cup coconut
1 Preheat oven to 350 and grease 1 cookie sheet.
2 Stir together almond meal, sugar (I use 1/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar) and baking soda in a large bowl.
3 Add beaten egg, chocolate chips and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
4 Place dough balls one inch apart on cookie sheet . You should be able to fit all 15 on the single cookie sheet.
5 Bake until puffed and golden, about 10 minutes.
6 Cool cookies on baking sheet about 2 minutes and then transfer to paper towels or rack to cool.
7 Note: I personally avoid artificial sweeteners, so I don't know how they would taste made with splenda.
14 cup chocolate chips (mini chips work)
1 tsp vanilla extract

I have no cookie pictures so I'll just show you my Brand New Nephew!



Isn't he cute :) Just born yesterday!  I can't wait to meet him...and make him and his daddy some Almond cookies.

2 comments:

StormcrowNaturePreserve said...

He's very handsome! :)

Rose Welty said...

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I've recently had to go Gluten free - this looks simple and yummy!