Thursday, July 29, 2010

Staying in the shadows. Figure drawing on the shady side.

I'm not entirely sure why...but for some reason last night I purposefully set up my easel on the dark side of the model stand, pretty much staring right into the spotlight, putting the model in mostly shadow with a thin halo of light. This also put me in a position where I was looking at a lot of back poses...which I really enjoyed!


A beautiful pose, the model leaning on one hip, the other cheek slightly raised, a dramtic shadow grounding her form and creating some drama.



Another gorgeous 3-4 minute pose.  Wonderful curve in her back.  I am not happy with how I captured her profile, but love everything else.



This lovely back pose was about 30 minutes.  I (luckily!) snapped a photo so I hope to finish it.  The light was beautiful along the edge of her form.  I like how the tips of her fingers are resting on her hip.  Even the drapery was gorgeous, lots of light and shadow.



This pastel drawing is mid-way thru our last long pose (probably about 1 hr 20 minutes total drawing time) Our evening went by so quickly!  That happens, of course, when you have such a wonderful model!

I was a little worried about working on this sap green pastel paper...I wasn't sure what colors would work, would it be feminine enough, was it too dark.   Turned out to be a great color to work on.  The warmth on the right side was wonderful, and the cool blues also popped on the background color.



While drawing, I realized the pose was familiar, one I have drawn a similar variation of many times in the past.  That is totally fine - sometimes that creates a great challenge.  Can I draw this even better than the last time?  Can I make this pose exciting to me, and my viewer?  I hope I did...I feel like the colors are bold, the light is interesting, the figure...beautiful.

As always - one of the benefits of drawing in a group - the chance to check out everyone else's work!  Some of the beautiful drawings created last night...







The artist told me to photograph this flat, since he drew it flat, and that is the only way the perspective works! I've been there.


No comments: