Saturday, June 12, 2010

Pastel Portrait from a photo. I love the colors!


I've finished Jack's portrait with the umbrella. Of course I use the term "finished" loosely, because I've been known to go back and change things!

You can watch a step-by-step progression of this pastel portrait on Youtube.

Because I've done a couple of these colorful pastel portraits back-to-back, it's really helping me see what I need to do as far as layering the colors.  I'm learning which Nupastels are denser, and therefor tend to gouge previous layers instead of lay on top.  These tend to be the darkest darks and lightest lights, so I save those until the end.  I love seeing which colors work together to create interesting color combinations in the shadows. 

I've just ordered some fresh new colors of Nupastel and colorfix paper...can't wait to get started on the next portrait!

If you are interested in a Custom Portrait, please visit my Fine Art on Etsy Shop.

No comments: